If you have been following my YouTube & Instagram posts lately, then you’ve noticed I’m working on my own personal transformation. I have 3 weeks to transform my body for a fantastic photo shoot I will be doing with the world renowned photographer, Alex Ardenti (www.AlexArdenti.com).
I eat clean all year round and maintain my body both in and out of the gym so that I can afford to splurge, cheat, & enjoy the foods I love- all in moderation of course. This “balance” that I found was not easy but it is possible to achieve. I’m definitely no stranger to dieting, but regardless of how many times I’ve gone through this process, there are moments when its just not that easy- even for me! Being “forced” to buckle down & stick to a regimen (my own regimen for that matter) is hard but not so bad, as I know the results are priceless & it will all be worth the sacrifice in the end.
In my experience with both myself & my clients, the first 2 weeks of any new diet can be the easiest or the hardest. In this case, it has been pretty tough- at 3 days in I was already bored out of my mind with chicken breast and asparagus… Feeling restricted, controlled by food, & unable to enjoy night’s out with friends, I decided to take another route as I ventured down this familiar road of dieting. My theory is, if I get as creative as possible in the beginning with making foods that taste amazing, gourmet, scrumptious, delicious, etc…but still staying in the criteria of “clean” eating & dieting, then I will never really feel deprived! Later on as the diet progresses and my energy level diminishes, I won’t even have the desire to cook & food will become just fuel for my body which means grilled chicken breast, steamed veggies, & plain baked yams will do the trick! LOL!
A typical and vey common breakfast side dish for dieters is a bowl of oatmeal. This can be a treat in itself but on occasion, I truly do miss the bite of bread-y, sweet, tasty texture you get from breads. And so my recipe, the OAT BRAN BREAKFAST MUFFIN, was born! This muffin is a great carb replacement, gluten-free, low carb, low sugar/ sugar-free, & AMAZINGLY YUMMY!
GLUTEN FREE OAT BRAN MUFFINS
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted, slightly cooled
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten (or egg whites equal to 3 eggs)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 1/4 cups oat bran
- 1 cup splenda or stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts & berries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare muffin cups- 12 cup muffin tin.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a larger bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mix well.
- Add the walnuts & berries, if desired.
- Spoon into the muffin tin–fill each cup about 3/4 of the way up.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
- Let cool 2 minutes in the pan, then cool completely on rack.
Muffins can be frozen and thawed if you aren’t going to eat them right away.